WSU Cougar Head Logo Washington State University


Resources to plan your trip

If you or your guests will be traveling to Pullman for Commencement ceremonies, the following information may help you plan your trip.

Travel and hotels

Explore how to get to Pullman and where to stay once you arrive.

International visitors

The following suggestions may help loved ones from outside the U.S. as they apply for a B-2 visitor’s visa at a U.S. consulate or embassy in their home country.

Be advised that travel restrictions may apply during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Write a letter of invitation on your visitors’ behalf

Include the following information:

  • Purpose of the visit
  • Your relationship to the individuals
  • Statement of your status here
  • Itinerary details and the length of time they will be visiting (usually less than three months).
  • Emphasize the temporary nature of the invitation and demonstrate your visitors’ intention to return to their home country following the visit.
  • If you will provide financial support while your visitors are here, include that information as well.
  • Include an Upon Completion Letter approved by the Office of the Registrar or The Graduate School. (If you are an International student yourself, contact International Programs, 509-335-2541.)
  • Provide details of the Commencement ceremony.

U.S. consulate/embassy locations and application procedures

Review U.S. Department of State visa information.

Providing your family members with this documentation may improve their chances of obtaining a visa; however, there is no guarantee a visa will be issued. The success of their request for a visa lies in their ability to prove that they have no intention of staying permanently in the U.S.