Doctoral Hooding – Fall
Event day instructions for PhD, EDD, and DNP candidates
Assembly and procession
Ushers will escort you to your assigned seating. Take your reader card with you. Remain standing.
During the ceremony, an off-stage announcement will direct you and your fellow doctoral candidates to come forward, single file, on the outside aisles. You will:
- Advance to the front of the hooding table.
- Hand your card to the person who will announce your name.
- Turn to face the staging area on the floor.
- Remove your cap.
- The reader will announce your name, degree earned, and hooding professor’s name.
- The faculty hooder will place the hood over your head and extend congratulations.
If you are taller than your professor, bend your knees. Do not bend forward at the waist, as this makes it more difficult for the professor to reach over your head.
- Proceed forward to receive the diploma cover from the dean or associate dean of the Graduate School.
- Turn and walk down the center aisle to shake hands.
- Return to your original seat via the center aisle.
- Remain standing until all candidates have returned to their seats and are seated by the announcer.
Ushers will release all students. Exit through the service tunnel entrance.