Skip to main content Skip to navigation
WSU Commencement Ceremonies A new WSU WordPress website

Inviting Family Members to Visit the U.S.

You may want to invite your parents or other family members to visit for Commencement, here are some suggestions to help them apply for a visitor’s visa (B-2) at a US consulate or embassy in their home country.

To facilitate their visa interview process you should do the following:

  • Write a letter of invitation. Include the purpose of the visit, your relationship to the individuals, a statement of your status here, itinerary details and the length of time they will be visiting (usually less than three months). It is best to emphasize the temporary nature of the invitation and to demonstrate their intention to return to their home country following the visit. If you will provide their financial support while they are here, include that information as well.
  • Include an Upon Completion Letter approved by the Office of the Registrar or The Graduate School (Note: If you are an International student yourself, you must contact International Programs, 509-335-2541.)
  • Provide details of the Commencement Ceremony. (Fall or Spring)
  • For additional information about U.S. consulate/embassy locations and application procedures, review the U.S. Department of State visa information.

Providing your family members with this documentation may improve their chances of obtaining a visa; however, there is no guarantee a visa will be issued. The success of their request for a visa lies in their ability to prove that they have no intention of staying permanently in the U.S.